Length of post: 12 weeks
Hours per week: 1 hour per week
A bit about the organisation
Ability Bow is a dynamic, friendly and community-led gym which works with clients who demonstrate a long-term health condition or disability.
We believe in social inclusion and are passionate about people, with a commitment of ensuring our members and the local Tower Hamlets/east London community can feel fitter and stronger, for longer.
We are also currently building blocks for a new one to one service and by working together to achieve this, we're gradually aiming to make a real difference to physical and emotional wellbeing within inner London.
A bit about the job role
As an Exercise Class Assistant, you will be supporting an Advanced Trainer in the delivery of Ability Bow’s group exercise classes.
Our group exercise classes take place on:
- 11.00am to 12.00pm - Stroke group
- 2.00pm to 3.00pm - Wheelfit group
- 10.00am to 11.00am - Visually Impaired group
Description of tasks
You will not be required to lead classes, instruct clients on a one-to-one basis, or create fitness plans for clients.
However, you will be required to offer support through participating in the classes to provide an exemplar to other clients. You may also be required to assist with the transportation of equipment.
The Exercise Class Assistant will have completed an Level 3 GP Exercise Referral Instructor course or be undertaking the course or relevant training at the time of volunteering.
This role is ideal for someone who is looking to gain experience to accompany their training as an instructor.
Ideally, the Exercise Class Assistant will volunteer for at least 1 hour per week for 12 weeks.
Organisation hours and location
Ability Bow is open Monday, Wednesdays and Fridays from 9:30am to 5pm, with alternative opening hours on Tuesdays from 9:30am to 6pm and from 10am to 5pm on on Thursdays.
The role is based at Ability Bow, St. Paul's Church, St. Stephen's Road, Bow, E3 5JL.
All volunteers are required to complete an application form - including giving two referees’ details - and, attend an informal interview. Volunteers are also required to present a valid DBS certificate or provide documentation for Ability Bow to undertake a DBS check.
Data protection and personal information
By applying for the volunteer role below, you confirm you also understand, agree and consent to:
- All of the details listed within the ‘Important information’ section above and ‘Data protection and personal information’ subsection bullet points listed below, on this page
- Your application details being passed on to Ability Bow’s volunteering coordinator for processing
- Your data not being shared with any third party unless we have obtained your full permission. Read our full Privacy Notice>>
- Your information being stored privately on our internal databases so we can provide you with relevant news and updates on our volunteering programme and wider communications on our services which you have agreed to opt into by applying for this role
If you would like to apply for this role or any one of our other opportunities within a different format (ie paper application form), please email: email@example.com.