Length of post: 12 weeks
Hours per week: 1.5 hours per week
A bit about the organisation
Ability Bow is a dynamic, friendly and community-led gym which works with clients who demonstrate a long-term health condition or disability.
We believe in social inclusion and are passionate about people, with a commitment of ensuring our members and the local Tower Hamlets/east London community can feel fitter and stronger, for longer.
We are also currently building blocks for a new one-to-one service and by working together to achieve this, we're gradually aiming to make a real difference to physical and emotional wellbeing within inner London.
A bit about the job role
At Ability Bow, we provide one-to-one support to our members through developing tailored, specific, and relevant exercise plans.
As an Exercise Referral Instructor, you will be volunteering alongside our team of instructors to provide one-to-one exercise instruction to a client who has been referred to Ability Bow. This will include undertaking an initial assessment session with the client, providing 10 x one hour weekly exercise sessions, and reassessment sessions.
Description of tasks
Work directly with one gym user over a period of 12 weeks:
- Complete initial assessment session in week 1
- Provide one-to-one training for member through one-hour weekly exercise sessions for 10 weeks
- Complete reassessment session in week 12
The Exercise Referral Instructor will have completed a Level 3 GP Exercise Referral Instructor course or be undertaking the course or relevant training at the time of volunteering.
This role is ideal for someone who is looking to gain experience to accompany their training as an instructor.
Exercise Referral Instructors will be recruited on a rolling basis to ensure fitness programmes are completed within certain times of the year.
As an Exercise Referral Instructor, you will need to be able to commence your volunteering around the following times of year:
- Early February
- Early April
- Early May
- Early July
- Mid September/early October
Ideally, the Exercise Referral Instructor will volunteer for approximately 1.5 hours per week for 12 weeks.
Organisation hours and location
Ability Bow is open Monday to Friday from 9.30am to 5.00pm.
The role is based at Ability Bow, St. Paul's Church, St. Stephen's Road, Bow, E3 5JL.
All volunteers are required to complete an application form - including giving two referees’ details - and, attend an informal interview. Volunteers are also required to present a valid DBS certificate or provide documentation for Ability Bow to undertake a DBS check.
Data protection and personal information
By applying for the volunteer role below, you confirm you also understand, agree and consent to:
- All of the details listed within the ‘Important information’ section above and ‘Data protection and personal information’ subsection bullet points listed below, on this page
- Your application details being passed on to Ability Bow’s volunteering coordinator for processing
- Your data not being shared with any third party unless we have obtained your full permission. Read our full Privacy Notice>>
- Your information being stored privately on our internal databases so we can provide you with relevant news and updates on our volunteering programme and wider communications on our services which you have agreed to opt into by applying for this role
If you would like to apply for this role or any one of our other opportunities within a different format (ie paper application form), please email: email@example.com.