Length of post: 12 weeks
Hours per week: 1 hour per week
A bit about the organisation
Ability Bow is a dynamic, friendly and community-led gym which works with clients who demonstrate a long-term health condition or disability.
We believe in social inclusion and are passionate about people, with a commitment of ensuring our members and the local Tower Hamlets/east London community can feel fitter and stronger, for longer.
We are also currently building blocks for a new one-to-one service and by working together to achieve this, we're gradually aiming to make a real difference to physical and emotional wellbeing within inner London.
A bit about the job role
Ability Bow aims to ensure exercise, fitness, health, and wellbeing is available to everyone. Alongside providing one-to-one training sessions with instructors and clients, some gym users have additional needs which can impact their ability to access certain exercises/machines.
As a Gym Buddy, your role is to provide one-to-one friendly support to a gym user to enable them to access and achieve the maximum benefit from their time at Ability Bow.
This role does not involve fitness or exercise instruction but is about providing other types of support such as:
- Adjusting equipment/setting weight levels
- Providing water
- Chatting to a client during their exercise
This person cannot amend fitness programmes or offer training advice.
This role is suitable for someone who is looking to gain qualifications as an instructor but has not yet undertaken training. The role of a Gym Buddy is also suitable for someone who is passionate about directly supporting individuals in a hands-on way.
Gym Buddies can either volunteer during a group session or work on a one-to-one basis with one client.
We currently require Gym Buddies for the following sessions:
- 11.00am to 12.00pm - Stroke group
- 12.00pm to 1.00pm - One-to-one client
- 2.00pm to 3.00pm - Wheelfit group
- 3.00pm to 4.00pm - One-to-one client
- 10.00am to 11.00am - Visually Impaired Group
Ideally, Gym Buddies will volunteer for around 1 hour per week for at least 12 weeks.
All volunteers are required to complete an application form - including giving two referees’ details - and, attend an informal interview. Volunteers are also required to present a valid DBS certificate or provide documentation for Ability Bow to undertake a DBS check.
Data protection and personal information
By applying for the volunteer role below, you confirm you also understand, agree and consent to:
- All of the details listed within the ‘Important information’ section above and ‘Data protection and personal information’ subsection bullet points listed below, on this page
- Your application details being passed on to Ability Bow’s volunteering coordinator for processing
- Your data not being shared with any third party unless we have obtained your full permission. Read our full Privacy Notice>>
- Your information being stored privately on our internal databases so we can provide you with relevant news and updates on our volunteering programme and wider communications on our services which you have agreed to opt into by applying for this role
If you would like to apply for this role or any one of our other opportunities within a different format (ie paper application form), please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.